Terrace, November 14 – December 9, 2022
JGC Fluor Joint Venture (JFJV) is excited to announce another Introduction to Industrial Construction Boot Camp in Terrace from November 14 to December 9, 2022.
If you are interested in a trades career but aren’t sure where or how to get started, this free-of-charge boot camp might be for you!
What is it?
JFJV developed the four-week program in partnership with the Piping Industry College of BC and the Industry Training Authority BC. It’s a comprehensive program which gives trainees real-life exposure to the ins and outs of working on a construction site. The program will commence outside, under any weather conditions, provide exposure to numerous trades, replicate life on a real construction site, and have some in-class training.
During your time in boot camp, you will receive training in the following areas:
- BC Apprenticeship System Overview
- Basic Workplace Safety
- Introduction to Power Tools
- Introduction to Hand Tools
- Working at Heights
- Mobile Elevated Work Platforms
- Confined Space Entry
- Basic Communication Skills
- Basic Employability Skills
- Hands-on Construction Projects
This is a great way to determine if you are suited for a trades career and discover which may interest you the most! Meet experts within the industry, learn alongside like-minded individuals, and at the end, we work with you to help you find an introductory role in your desired trade.
These trades include:
- Other industrial trades
What will you be doing?
During your four weeks at boot camp, you will be working alongside your colleagues to complete a practical construction project. During the completion of this project, you will be exposed to safety guidelines, tools, hand skills/techniques, exposure to aerial platform lifts, scaffolding, and much more.
In addition, you will learn how to operate safely in an industrial setting. Interspersed within the real-life outdoor construction setting, you will also learn from industry professionals from various unions and the UA Piping College in a classroom. Classroom learning includes a resume workshop and basic communication skills.
This 4-week book camp runs Monday to Friday during regular working hours.
- You are a motivated individual with little to no experience on a construction site or in the trades.
- You are older than eighteen or will be eighteen by January 1, 2023.
- You have a positive attitude and are excited to learn a large number of new skills in a short period.
- You have the ability and stamina to work and learn in difficult weather conditions.
- Completion of grade 10 is required, or you are a mature student (over 25 years old).
- You must be safety conscious and demonstrate that you will follow safe work practices.
- Ability to pass a Drug & Alcohol test
Make sure to let your friends and family know about this great opportunity.
What do you need?
All you need is your resume.
Submit it to the link below, and we will contact you to confirm your information and interest in the boot camp. Don’t have a resume? That’s okay – Send us an email telling us about yourself, and we’ll respond to confirm your interest.
The boot camp is free, but if you’re not local to the Terrace area, you must provide your accommodations. Transportation to and from the location is each participant’s responsibility, and you must also bring your food daily, like any other construction site. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided for use during the boot camp.
Applications must be received by October 28, 2022