If you are interested in a trades career but aren’t sure where or how to get started, this free-of-charge Bootcamp might be for you!
Now accepting applications for the sixth bootcamp from November 20th to December 15th, 2023, in Terrace, BC!
What is it?
JFJV developed the four-week program in partnership with the UA Piping Industry College of BC, and SkilledTradesBC. It’s a comprehensive program which gives trainees real-life exposure to the ins and outs of working on a construction site. The program will commence outside, under any weather conditions, provide exposure to numerous trades, replicate life on a real construction site, and have some in-class training. During your time in bootcamp, you will receive training in the following areas:
- BC Apprenticeship System Overview
- Basic Workplace Safety
- Introduction to Power Tools
- Introduction to Hand Tools
- Working at Heights
- Mobile Elevated Work Platforms
- Confined Space Entry
- Basic Communication Skills
- Basic Employability Skills
- Hands-on Construction Projects
This is a great way to determine your suitability for a trades career and discover which interests you the most! Meet experts within the industry, learn alongside like-minded individuals, and at the end, we work with you to help you find an introductory role in your desired trade. These trades include:
- Other industrial trades
What will you be doing?
During your four weeks at bootcamp, you will work with your colleagues to complete a practical construction project. During the completion of this project, you will be exposed to safety guidelines, tools, hand skills/techniques, exposure to aerial platform lifts, scaffolding, and much more. In addition, you will learn how to operate safely in an industrial setting. Interspersed within the real-life outdoor construction setting, you will also learn from industry professionals from various unions and the UA Piping College in a classroom. Classroom learning includes a resume workshop and basic communication skills. This 4-week book camp runs Monday to Friday during regular working hours.
- You are a motivated individual with little to no experience on a construction site or in the trades.
- You are older than eighteen or will be eighteen by January 1, 2024.
- You have a positive attitude and are excited to learn a large number of new skills in a short period.
- You have the ability and stamina to work and learn in difficult weather conditions.
- Completion of grade 10 is required, or you are a mature student (over 25 years old).
- You must be safety conscious and demonstrate that you will follow safe work practices.
- Ability to pass a Drug & Alcohol test
Make sure to let your friends and family know about this great opportunity.